Black Friday is on — Apple’s Black Friday sale is now live with the company offering a Product(RED) iTunes gift card for each eligible purchase. Gift card amounts range from NZ$35 to $120 depending on items being purchased – but it looks like NZ isn’t getting these, and England isn’t getting it either. We did last year, we’re just getting to donate (via Apple) to Project RED on world AIDS day (that’s today). The RED promotion is available in Apple’s online stores. However, there are lots of other deals we can use on software etc.
Desk is a ‘painless’ writing and blogging tool for Mac — John Saddington’s new app is simply named Desk (it’s NZ$38.99). When you’re typing, user interface items simply disappear from Desk so you’re actually typing on a blank page. Move your pointer with mouse or trackpad, and you begin to see some of the elements. At the bottom of the page you’ll see exactly when the current document was last saved, a character count, a word count, and reading time. That last statistic gives you an idea of how long it will take an average reader to fully digest your post. It also lets you publish directly to WordPress, Tumblr, Bloodspot and more.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer on iTunes —Star Wars: The Force Awakens isn’t due in theaters for about a year, but you can watch it in high quality on Apple’s Trailer site. The minute-and-a-half-long trailer doesn’t show any of the main characters but it has plenty of stormtroopers, droids, X-winds, and the Millenium Falcon. Also, a triple-blade Sith lightsaber.
Apple has updated GarageBand for iOS with exclusive RED Loop Pack for limited time — Apple on Monday (NZ time) released an update to its GarageBand music authoring app that activates an option to purchase the (GarageBand)RED Loop Pack, an exclusive collections of hundreds of new instrument loop — and all proceeds go to the RED anti-AIDS charity. An in-app purchase branded in typical RED fashion, the (GarageBand)RED Loop Pack features 300 guitar, bass, synth and drum loops spread over a number of musical genres. To mark the occasion, Apple changed GarageBand’s app icon background from a sunset gradient to red. It’s only NZ$1.29, so do yourself a favour but you only have a few days to do so.
iPhone 6 launch broke app download records — The launch of a new iPhone always creates a bump in App Store downloads, but this year’s iPhone 6/6 Plus debut was a special kind of crazy. According to a new report by analytics firm Fiksu, October saw a massive surge in iOS app downloads that shattered previous records and led to a daily download volume of over 7.8 million downloads for the top 200 apps on the marketplace. The App Store’s performance in October represented a 42% increase from September and 39% year-over-year growth.
Take your foosball skills global with Foosball Cup World — Battle numerous other countries in Foosball Cup World, a game that puts your virtual foosball skills to the test. Play quick matches or choose challenges and put in some more effort to achieve special goals within the game. The game by default pairs you up with a computer, but soon after improving your skill Foosball Cup World unlocks additional modes for two players, tournaments and the world league. The game is free with in-app purchases for iPhone and iPad.
All the RED deals Monday 24th November to Sunday 7th December — The App Store’s Apps for (RED) campaign will feature 24 fan-favourite apps with exclusive new content. Every time a customer purchases a participating (PRODUCT)RED app or an exclusive In-App Purchase, all proceeds will go to the Global Fund.
• On Monday, 1 December – World AIDS Day – Apple will donate a portion of every sale at Apple’s online stores to the Global Fund to fight AIDS.
Apps for (RED) marks the first-ever global App Store initiative in support of (RED). Participating developers have created (RED)-inspired content and experiences for their fans to enjoy, including:
• Angry Birds players can perfect their bird-flinging with (RED)’s Mighty Feathers and challenge themselves to a bonus golden egg level.
• Bubble Witch 2 Saga offers new (PRODUCT)RED levels across all 17 episodes of the game. Gold bar currency purchases will be donated to (RED).
• CSR Racing delivers new in-game thrills with the highly anticipated Mercedes Benz-AMG GT.
• Clash of Clans warriors can prepare for battle with special edition (PRODUCT)RED gems and display a (RED) badge of honour on the village’s town hall.
• Clear’s users can perfect their organisational skills with a new (PRODUCT)RED theme which appears automatically with all new downloads.
• Cut the Rope 2 unveils a wide selection of (PRODUCT)RED items including a new red hat, red touch print, red balloons and a red ginger cookie.
• Despicable Me: Minion Rush reveals a new Lifeguard minion that helps players boost their banana collection skills by 200%.
• DJay 2’s spin tables turn (RED) and offer DJs a special sound pack.
• FarmVille 2: Country Escape players can “Roll out the RED Carpet” and purchase limited-time items such as the Cozy Cow, St. Bernard and more.
• FIFA 15 Ultimate Team players can compete in a (RED) Tournament and Team of the Week event. All winners will be awarded football superstar and (RED) Ambassador Rafa Marquez.
• Frozen Free Fall unveils a magical new (RED) Challenge in the Kingdom of Arendelle, and offers an exclusive combined offer of 1 power-up, 1 snowball and 3 lives.
• Kim Kardashian:Hollywood’s aspiring celebrity players can treat themselves to (PRODUCT)RED items including (BEATS)RED Solo2 headphones. Kris Jenner, the first family member to join Kim’s in-app world, will make her in-game debut on 1 December.
• Heads Up! competition heats up with an exclusive new deck featuring (RED) words.
• The Human Body debuts the Immune System feature, educating users on how the body fights pathogens. The accompanying handbook features a new section on HIV/AIDS.
• Kitchen Stories Cookbook will offer a special-edition holiday recipe pack, featuring dishes from renowned chefs Mario Batali, Martha Stewart, Luke Holden and Michael Lomonaco.
• Monument Valley offers a whole new chapter of Ida’s Journey, marking the final new feature of the game.
• Over customers have access to a wide selection of (PRODUCT)RED fonts and inspiring artwork, specially created by six artists. Users can share photos with the (RED) brackets overlay to help spread awareness.
• Paper by FiftyThree enthusiasts can enjoy a new (PRODUCT)RED Essentials Pack including Sketch, Outline, Write, Colour and Mixer tools.
• Rayman Fiesta Run introduces a new (RED) edition to their wacky Fiesta world, and players can purchase a pack of three new costumes for Rayman, Globox and Teensy characters.
• Star Walk 2 users can learn more about Mars with the comprehensive new RED Planet feature.
• Sims FreePlay features a special community challenge that unlocks various rewards, and players can purchase limited-edition (PRODUCT)RED items such as a swimming pool, party plane and piñata.
• Threes! turns (RED) with a limited-edition (PRODUCT)RED theme.
• Toca Boca paints Toca Town (RED)! Kids can discover new (RED) diamonds, sample (RED) ice cream in the app and look for other surprises throughout the game.