- The new iPad mini and iPad Air come in silver, space grey and gold finishes in 64GB and 256GB configurations. The new iPad mini starts at RRP NZ$679 inc. GST for the Wi-Fi model and RRP NZ$899 inc. GST for the Wi-Fi + Cellular model and the 10.5-inch iPad Air starts at RRP NZ$849 inc. GST for the Wi-Fi model and RRP NZ$1069 inc. GST for the Wi-Fi + Cellular model from apple.com/nz, in the Apple Store app, and is also available through Apple Authorised Resellers and select carriers (prices may vary).
- The new iPad models are available to order starting today from apple.com/nz and in the Apple Store app in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the UAE, UK and US. Starting next week, the new iPad models will be available in those countries and regions, as well as in China (Wi-Fi models only), Macau (Wi-Fi models only) and Mexico with more countries and regions to follow soon, including Colombia, Greece, India, Israel, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Thailand (Wi-Fi models only) and Turkey.
- Apple Pencil (1st generation) is available for purchase separately for RRP NZ$159 inc. GST. The Smart Keyboard for the 10.5-inch iPad Air is available for purchase separately for RRP NZ$259 inc. GST with layouts for over 30 languages, including simplified Chinese, French, German, Japanese and Spanish.
- Polyurethane Smart Covers are available for RRP NZ$75 inc. GST for iPad mini and RRP NZ$95 inc. GST for iPad Air in charcoal grey, white, pink sand and a new papaya, with additional Leather Smart Covers available for iPad Air for RRP NZ$129 inc. GST in black, saddle brown, midnight blue and red.
- Trade in your eligible device for credit toward your next purchase, or get an Apple Store Gift Card you can use any time.8 If your device isn’t eligible for credit, Apple will recycle it for free.
- Every customer who buys iPad from Apple can enjoy free Personal Setup online and receive guidance on how to customise their iPad, set up email, find new apps from the App Store and more.
iPad mini 3 gets Touch ID for $399, first-gen iPad mini stays on sale with a price drop — Apple’s diminutive iPad will also receive an update this week, the company announced Thursday, in the form of the iPad mini 3, which features a Touch ID fingerprint sensor and new gold colour option.
NZ prices (inc GST): $599 for the 16GB, $749 for the 64GB and NZ899 for the 128GB.
Apple announces 6.1mm-thin iPad Air 2 with Touch ID, anti-reflective coating, new gold colour option — Apple’s next-generation tablet became official on Thursday with the introduction of the iPad Air 2, featuring a Touch ID fingerprint sensor, new anti-reflective screen coating, and the speedy new A8X chip.
Prices are NZ$749 for the 16GB, NZ$899 for the 64GB and NZ$1049 for the 128GB (all prices inc GST).
iPhone 6 largest launch ever — Tim Cook emphasised at the above launch that, taking the upcoming Chinese launch into account (with all three carriers there participating, a first), the iPhone 6 has been the largest iPhone launch ever.
Apple announces iOS 8.1 with Camera Roll, iCloud Photo Library — As part of the above October press event, Apple announced several upcoming features it is adding to iOS 8.1. The next major release of iOS 8 [which we’ll get early next week] will see the return of the popular camera roll, which was replaced in iOS 8 much to the chagrin of iOS users.
Apple announces WatchKit SDK for developers, launches in November — In preparation of the upcoming Apple Watch launch, Apple on Thursday announced a new software developers kit called WatchKit for creating apps tailored for the company’s highly anticipated wearable device.
Reddit acquires popular iOS app Alien Blue — Despite its stunning popularity and influence across the internet, Reddit has lacked an official app for actually using the service on mobile devices. It has an AMA (ask me anything) app, but nothing for everyday use. This has left users to browse the site using third party apps or their mobile web browser. Rather than developing their own app to fill this gap, Reddit has simply purchased Alien Blue, the most popular iOS client for the site.
Skype for iOS updated for optimised iPhone 6 experience — Microsoft has released a new update for Skype’s iOS app offering users with the larger iPhone 6 and 6+ an optimised user interface. In addition, the app now allows users to mark individual conversations as read/unread, disable notification sounds in “do no disturb” mode, and increased metadata in contact profiles. Here’s the company’s official summery of the update.