Apple unveils iPad Pro featuring 20% larger display with ProMotion, A10X CPU — Apple’s iPad Pro lineup has just been updated with the most popular model receiving a larger 10.5-inch display, still weighing just over 453 grams (1 pound) with thinner bezels. The screen also features new ProMotion technology that dramatically improves performance.
Here’s Apple’s full NZ press release: iPad Pro, in 10.5-inch & 12.9-inch Models, Introduces our Most Advanced Display & Breakthrough Performance
iOS 11, Coming This Spring, Brings New Features That Make iPad Pro Even More Powerful
SAN JOSE, California — 6 June 2017 — Apple today introduced an all-new 10.5-inch iPad Pro and a new 12.9-inch iPad Pro, featuring our most advanced display with ProMotion technology and incredible performance with the new A10X Fusion chip. The new 10.5-inch model reduces the borders by nearly 40 percent to fit into an incredibly compact package that still weighs less than 500 grams. Combined with powerful new iPad features in iOS 11 coming this spring, like the all-new Files app, customisable Dock, improved multitasking and deeper integration of Apple Pencil, iPad Pro gives users the ability to be even more productive and creative.
“These are by far the most powerful iPads we’ve ever created with our most advanced displays featuring ProMotion, the powerful new A10X Fusion chip and the advanced camera system of iPhone 7,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s vice president of Product Marketing. “Together with iOS 11 these new iPad Pro models will radically change what users can do with iPad.”
Our Most Advanced Display Featuring ProMotion — The stunning, redesigned Retina display in iPad Pro features ProMotion, a new technology that delivers refresh rates of up to 120Hz for fluid scrolling, greater responsiveness and smoother motion content. With ProMotion, Apple Pencil is even more responsive with an industry-best, 20-millisecond latency for even more fluid and natural drawing. ProMotion technology also improves display quality and reduces power consumption by automatically adjusting the display refresh rate to match the movement of the content.
The advanced Retina display is Apple’s brightest iPad display yet and features antireflective coating, making content easier to see indoors and out. True Tone® display dynamically adjusts the white balance of the display to match the light around you for a more natural and accurate viewing experience. A wide colour gamut enables iPad Pro to deliver digital cinema-standard colours.
Groundbreaking Performance Powered by A10X Fusion Chip —
iPad Pro delivers groundbreaking performance, connectivity and versatility to tackle the most demanding tasks. The powerful new 64-bit A10X Fusion chip provides performance that is faster than most PC laptops shipping today, so tackling complex tasks like editing photos and 4K video, rendering 3D images or playing games feels effortless. A six-core CPU and 12-core GPU deliver up to 30 per cent faster CPU performance and 40 per cent faster graphics performance than the industry-leading A9X chip, while delivering all-day battery life.1
iPad Pro is the perfect device to shoot, edit and share pro-quality photos and videos. It features the same advanced front- and back-facing cameras as iPhone® 7, including a 12-megapixel camera with optical image stabilisation, along with a 7-megapixel FaceTime® HD camera. iPad Pro also features a four-speaker audio system, providing powerful, clear and rich stereo sound in any orientation. An embedded Apple SIM2 and support for 802.11ac Wi-Fi and LTE Advanced3 make it easier to stay connected when traveling in more than 180 countries and regions.
Touch ID® on iPad Pro is more responsive and gives users a simple and secure way to unlock iPad, keep personal information private within apps and approve purchases from the App Store®, iTunes Store® and iBooks Store℠. With Apple Pay® on iPad, paying for physical goods and services within apps or on websites in Safari® has never been easier. 4
Pricing & Availability
• The 10.5-inch iPad Pro comes in silver, space grey, gold and rose gold starting at Recommended Retail Price (RRP) NZ$1099 inc. GST for the 64GB with Wi-Fi model and starting at RRP NZ$1319 inc. GST for the 64GB Wi-Fi + Cellular model. The 12.9-inch iPad Pro is available in silver, space grey and gold starting at RRP NZ$1299 inc. GST for the 64GB Wi-Fi model and starting at RRP NZ$1519 inc. GST for the 64GB Wi-Fi + Cellular model. For more information, visit apple.com/nz/ipad.
• The new iPad Pro models are available to order beginning today from apple.com/nz and will start delivering to customers next week. Both models will also be available next week through select carriers and Apple Authorised Resellers (prices may vary) in 38 countries and regions, including New Zealand, Australia, the US, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK.
• Apple Pencil is available for RRP NZ$159 inc. GST. The Smart Keyboard is available in charcoal grey for RRP NZ$259 inc.GST for the 10.5-inch iPad Pro and RRP NZ$269 inc.GST for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro with layouts for over 30 languages, including simplified Chinese, French, German, Japanese and Spanish.
• A new Leather Sleeve is available for both the 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro in a range of colours for RRP NZ$229 inc. GST and RRP NZ$269 inc. GST, respectively. A new Apple Pencil Case is available in a range of colours for RRP NZ$49 inc. GST. iPad Pro Smart Covers are available in polyurethane and leather in a variety of colours for RRP NZ$89 inc. GST and RRP NZ$129 inc. GST for the 10.5-inch iPad Pro and for RRP NZ$99 inc. GST and RRP NZ$139 inc. GST for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro at apple.com.
• Every customer who buys iPad Pro from Apple will be offered free Personal Setup online, to help them customise their iPad Pro by setting up email, showing them new apps from the App Store and more. 4
1 Battery life depends on device settings, usage and other factors. Actual results may vary.
2 Embedded Apple SIM in iPad Pro (10.5-inch and 12.9-inch) may be disabled when purchased from some carriers. See your carrier for details.
3 LTE is available through select carriers. Network speeds are dependent on carrier networks. Check with your carrier for details.
4 In most countries.
Apple Uses iOS 11 to Make iPad more Mac-like — Apple gave iOS 11 for the iPad some special love during the 2017 Worldwide Developer Conference keynote that makes the tablet more like a Mac with drag-and-drop support, a Dock, and touch-based app switcher. A Files app adds file browsing.
More Apple press: iOS 11 Introduces Powerful iPad Features — iOS 11, coming this spring, introduces powerful new features for iPad, including:
— a new customisable Dock that provides quick access to frequently used apps and documents from any screen;
— improved multitasking, including a redesigned app switcher that brings Spaces® to iOS, making it easier to move between apps or pairs of active apps, used in Split View and now Slide Over;
— the new Files app that keeps everything in one place, whether files are stored locally, in iCloud Drive® or across other providers like Box, Dropbox and more;
— Multi-Touch™ Drag and Drop, which is available across the system to move text, photos and files from one app to another, anywhere on the screen;
— a new document scanner in Notes, which lets users easily scan single or multi-page documents, removes shadows and uses powerful image filters to enhance readability; and
— deeper integration with Apple Pencil, with support for inline drawing to write along text in Notes and Mail, Instant Markup to easily sign documents, annotate PDFs or draw on screenshots, and a new Instant Notes feature, which opens Notes from the Lock Screen by simply tapping Apple Pencil on the display. New searchable handwriting makes it easy to search for handwritten text or characters.
Apple Pencil & Smart Keyboard — Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard, available for purchase separately, bring breakthrough levels of precision and utility to iPad Pro. Advanced sensors in Apple Pencil measure both pressure and tilt for natural drawing, annotating and note-taking. A new full-sized Smart Keyboard has been custom designed for the 10.5-inch iPad Pro, offering a thin yet durable keyboard that never needs to be charged or paired over Bluetooth and is easily foldable into a protective Smart Cover.